To create a small but efficient kitchen design, you need to work in detail on three major areas of small kitchen design: storage, lighting, and appliances.
Small kitchens may seem to be a hard design challenge, but they certainly can be functional, beautiful and efficient at the same time. Even when only dealing with a small budget or building restrictions, you will find that there are many options open for transforming your kitchen into something more ideal for your needs.
To create a more spacious look for your small kitchen it is recommended by the National Kitchen and Bath Association to use more unique storage solutions, mix natural and ambient lighting, take advantage of more space saving appliances, and to add a personal touch.
Coming up with storage solutions for a small kitchen design requires creativity. Some ideas can include:
· Putting an island in the center of the kitchen that can provide freestanding storage that is also accessible from anywhere in the kitchen.
· Using a galley kitchen design in which the cabinets and appliances line up on either side of a corridor can work out very well for a small kitchen
· Today's appliance manufacturers have come up with more compact space-saving appliances, which make small kitchen designs easier, such as refrigerators that are only 24 inches deep
· With the proper type of lighting the kitchen can appear larger and more pleasing.
· Using light colored cabinets with glass doors.
· Installing deeper counters that can accommodate more appliances and increase work space.
· Flooring tiles can be placed on a diagonal, or in case of a galley style kitchen hardwood flooring that can runs along the length of the kitchen.
· For storage you can hang up pots and pans.
· Install a large kitchen sink
Keep in mind that most kitchens are small. When you look in kitchen design magazines you naturally notice that the kitchens featured are large and so you might think your small kitchen is inadequate. But creating a good small kitchen design means being able to create space and incorporating ample storage facilities and also being able to fit in all the necessary appliances.
ATC for another idea of housing
Would you like to support ATC for more sustainable consumption patterns? Take part of the 1 reservation = 1 tree planted program, book here and share:
Did you like this article? Register now and for free to be informed of new and up-to-date news articles.